Summer is all about shrimps, barbecue and raw vegetables. And what goes well with any of those foods? Mayonnaise! Since I always forget to buy some from the tore, I learned how to make my own. It’s really easy, you usually have all the ingredients at home and you can make it in less than five minutes! So without any further due… Here is how to make it!
Cooking tip: how to make your mayonnaise
I made a video here if you like to see how it is done 🙂
Ingredients for 6 persons:
- Two egg yolks (learn how to separate them from the whites)
- 1 TBSP of strong dijon mustard
- 1 TSP of vinegar (any kind you like)
- Oil (sunflower is better, but you can try other kinds too)
- Salt and pepper
Note: every ingredient must be at room temperature
- Pour the egg yolks, the mustard, the vinegar and the salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add the oil really slowly while mixing with a whisk. Always turn in the same direction. Pause the oil sometimes to catch up until the mayonnaise thickens.
- Add oil until you get a full bowl of mayonnaise.
Tip n°1: once the mayonnaise is done, keep it in the fridge until you use it, or the oil might “separate”.
Tip n°2: you can add any spice or herbs you like. Tarragon is really nice with chicken, garlic will make a nice aïoli for your barbecue…
Tip n°3: an urban legend says that, if a girl is on her periods, she will fail in making a mayonnaise. That is not true, I failed a great many mayonnaise whatever time of the month it was :p